Saturday 3 April 2010

My Bruce Journey - Part 13

'I wanna find me a world where love's the only sound'



‘Devils and Dust’ was released 25 April 2005 (in the UK). HMV had posters up.  I really wanted one - I assume they are just thrown away when they have finished with them.  I was afraid to ask and have regretted it ever since.

Johnnie Walker had played ‘Devils and Dust’ (the song) on his Drive Time show pre release.  Mike and I huddled round the radio listening intently.  We liked it - didn’t love it.  Think I might also have heard ‘All I’m Thinkin’ About‘ which took me back a bit at first.  Like the song but on this occasion not sure about the falsetto.  Hadn’t heard any other tracks though although I assume there were illegal copies about.


It has become my Friday ritual to put Bruce on the stereo and write my blog so those of you who are regular readers will know I am listening to the album now.  It’s never going to be my favourite but I really like some of it - ’Long Time Comin’’, ‘Maria’s Bed’, ’Leah’.  I don’t think I would put any of the tracks into my least favourite top ten although, to be honest, I have never thought about what these songs might be - perhaps something to think about for another week!

Now this was the first time I had tried to get tickets knowing that I was going to face problems.  Previously just being our two selves we had no idea that getting tickets could be such a headache but we were now part of the BTX community and all the discussions were full of how difficult it was going to be.

This just made me panic and by the time the big day came, although I was pleased that I was in the loop at last, I was a nervous wreck!

The morning the tickets went on sale is etched in my memory - I can still feel the stress, the frustration, the impending disappointment and then the…well you will find out if you read on.
Mike was at work so the task of getting the precious tickets fell to me.  We had a strategy of computer with one hand and phone with the other but I found I couldn’t get the hang of redialling and refreshing at the same time.

The phone network was busy so I gave up with that and concentrated on the internet.  This was my first time. I must have done something wrong, or perhaps it was just our really slow dial up connection, but by 12.00 I was still nowhere.

I changed tack and phoned The Albert Hall. It was constantly engaged until about 12.40pm when I got a ringing tone - on the one hand this was good but on the other I knew I was only heading for a fall.

We had decided to try for the Friday - we didn’t know anything about the second night rule in those days. Yes! there were two tickets but ‘right at the back’ - in fact right at the back of the top tier about as far away from the stage it is possible to get.  I told her I would sit on the roof if I had to - we were in!

Bruce thought it was ‘nice to be in a sweaty hot London‘ and so did we but it really was stifling.  We didn’t have much time before the start of the show and I had to choose between braving the masses at the bar to get a cold drink or joining the long queue to get my tour T shirt.  I chose the drink and I never got the T shirt.

 have to say this was not my favourite show.  At the time I think there were rumours about Bruce’s personal life and Patti didn’t travel with him all the time.  I have absolutely no grounds for saying this but it felt like Bruce was miserable and he wanted all of us to be miserable with him.  I know there are fans who really enjoyed this tour but I think Bruce was being a bit self indulgent and choosing to please himself rather than me. But - hey he has every right to do what he wants.

At one point some wag in the crowd shouted ‘Where’s Clarence?’- given the low key atmosphere this could have rubbed Bruce up the wrong way but luckily he did manage a little chuckle before saying ‘How the fuck should I know where he is‘.

He talked quite a bit between songs, which I like, but we couldn’t hear a lot of what he was saying. Unsurprisingly we now have a boot so we have been able to catch up with the stories since.

I can’t get my head around the solo acoustic versions of ‘The Rising’ and ‘Lonesome Day’.  Maybe it’s because there is no drum beat to carry me through but I hear a bit of the familiar tune when he is singing and then some frantic strumming on the guitar which seems completely at odds with the melody.  I am no musician - it might be really skilful for all I know!

Of the two I prefer ‘Lonesome Day’ and I have to say ‘The Rising’ at The Obama thing, on the steps of the Lincoln memorial with the choir behind him, certainly looked fabulous.

Don’t get me wrong spending two hours or so in the company of Bruce Springsteen is always going to be amazing.  The songs from the album were good.  I also loved ‘Tougher Than The Rest’ on the piano and ’The Wish’ was a treat.

So despite my reservations I could happily have sat there for another 2 hours but as ever it was over all too soon.

We stayed in London for a couple of days but then it was home again and the post concert blues.


Set List

My Beautiful Reward
Reason To Believe
Devils and Dust
Lonesome Day
Long Time Coming
Silver Palomino
The River
Tougher Than The Rest
Part Man Part Monkey
Maria's Bed
Cautious Man
Nebraska
Reno
The Wish
Paradise
The Rising
Further On Up The Road
Jesus Was An Only Son
Leah
The Hitter
Matamoros Banks
Ramrod
My Best Was Never Good Enough
The Promised Land
Dream baby Dream


No comments:

Post a Comment