Sunday 20 February 2011

The Promise - I didn't know I had it!


There is a thread on Greasy Lake about ‘Cynthia’.  



The guy who started it had just stumbled across the song and couldn’t believe he hadn’t heard it before.   I dare said he had played it previously but it hadn’t registered until that moment.  It’s a Tracks problem I think.  Getting four albums at once might mean you miss a gem.  Perhaps you weren’t really listening at the time.  Maybe in ‘Cynthia’s’ case it’s because it’s the first track and you hadn’t quite settled down.  

For me after a few listens I liked album 2 so much I rarely played the other three.  Having said that I know many of the songs, although, for the most part I couldn’t tell you which track belongs on which album.  For those of you who can tell instantly the difference between a Darkness era track and, say, a BITUSA era track you must think this strange but my ears aren’t so refined.     
We bought a lot of the back catalogue at the same time and suffered from the having too- many-albums-to-play-at-once phenomenon.  At first everything sort of merged into one.  Many a time I have only really listened to a song because someone on Greasy Lake had extolled the virtues or sometimes remarked how much they hate a particular track.
Anyway ‘Cynthia’ I knew but... I didn’t know that I already had a version of ‘The Promise’ until a Laker asked for peeps to name their top five songs from Tracks and The Promise.  The replies included 'The Promise (18 Tracks version)' and 'The Promise (full Band version)'.
Now 18 Tracks passed me by because I thought, until only two or three years ago, that 18 Tracks included the same songs as Tracks only fewer (obviously).  When I found out my mistake I bought 18 Tracks but to be honest I’m not sure I really listened to it.
So unbeknown to me I already had this version knocking around and yesterday what should pop up on the iPod but the version from The Definitive Darkness Outtakes Collection.  Now I have three versions.  I like the one from The Promise best which I assume is the one referred to previously as the full band version.
And my point is? ....  There may still be things to discover in my Bruce collection.  Perhaps I should start at the beginning and work my way through to see if there is something there I missed before.   I might have to start loading up a new iTunes library soon so there’s my opportunity - Mary Queen of Arkansas here I come.

This week when I was looking around for stuff of interest I found this


Handbag



I would love one of these but it got me wondering about the other unofficial stuff out there.  There are loads of T shirts mugs etc. of course.




Tried to find something really naf and this was the best I could do - It’s a ceramic tile from here








Fridge magnets


I quite like these but I don't have a fridge to put them on.










And on the subject of Bruce stuff I have started a new hobby - making fabric dolls.  I’ve made two so far using a book for instructions.  My third very similar one is on it’s way.  When I have honed my craft I hope to branch out into male dolls and yes! I thought I would have a go at Bruce.  Can’t promise to get the features right but with brown eyes, the right hair (I’ve bought wool already in an appropriate colour - brown with a hint of grey), black T shirt and jeans and a guitar he might just be recognisable.  I’ll be posting the finished articles out to friends for feedback!!    

Some good news this week to balance up the bad from a couple of weeks ago from GL. - Max hints at a tour in 2012???

And lastly for now Mike and I had one of those conversations this week - It reminded me of these two


but our chat was much shorter and went something like this
Me  ‘They’ve offered me more hours at work”
Mike  ‘Do you want to do them?  You don’t have to.  We can manage without the extra money’
Me  ‘But I can put the money away towards the next Bruce tour’
Mike  ‘that probably won’t be until next year.  We can save up anyway’
Me  'yeah but we will want to go to every gig he does in UK and Ireland... and maybe one in USA’
Mike just looks at me.  I can see this is news to him but he doesn’t object.  Is he wondering how to persuade me that four shows will be enough?  Is he thinking of a smart answer?  Is he hoping I will change my mind?  No - I think he’s just resigned to it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment