Saturday 11 September 2010

My Bruce Journey - Part 35

'She slips, she slides, she slops, she bops, she bumps, she grinds'



Our day in New Jersey flew by far too quickly.  Looking back I think I was so intent on getting photos of everything that I forgot to just sit down and savour the moment.  But wow! wow! wow! it was just the best day - just the best.

Sat nav gave up as we were leaving Asbury Park but Hywel got us back safely anyway.  Then back to NYC for a quick freshen up and our Light of Day gig at Jesse Malin’s club in The Bowery.

Caught the 6 train to Bleeker Street.  We calculated that with a short walk this would bring us out half way down The Bowery.  Trouble was I had forgotten to bring the actual address and we had no idea what number we were looking for.  Wandered up and down for a while - I wonder now about the wisdom of meandering about looking lost, in a strange New York street, in the dark.  To be honest we were both a bit jittery.  In the end we called in a shop for directions.  The owner hadn’t heard of The Bowery Electric but checked on the internet for us and pointed us in the right direction.

The place was heaving and very hot.  I have never been at the cutting edge of the club scene so possibly for the first time in my life I felt cool (despite the heat).

Joe Verso and The Stone Caravan were the main band.



We knew of them through Bruce and The Light of Day organisation.  They did a great rocking set,  Joe looking like he enjoyed every minute and the bass player Mr Lou obviously having a ball.  Before them there was the fabulous Sarah Solovay - only 15 I think and destined for greater things.

 

Outside The Box did a great version of 'Kitty’s Back' presumably knowing there were Bruce fans around.   Here's a version from The Paramount Theatre in January 2010.



All in all we had a great evening but both of us were dog tired and left pretty early.


Sinead, Steve, Ceinwen and Hywel stayed on, met Joe (and Jeff Cafone from Outside The Box I think) and by all accounts had a great night.

Up bright and early next morning to queue for Bruce tickets at MSG.  Mike will tell you that I am not as careful as I should be with my credit cards but, boy, did I look after my card when I knew I had to show it to pick up the tickets.  Can’t imagine what it must be like to have tickets sitting at the box office and being unable to get your hands on them.
We chatted to a British couple in front of us in the queue.  They were going Saturday and regretted not trying for tickets for Sunday.  We met them again, by chance, outside the United Nations Building on Tuesday morning - pretty remarkable considering we were just randomly sightseeing.

Mustang Harry’s before the show.  Just up the street from MSG so not unexpectedly it was packed.  Now some very well organised Lakers - Sinead among them I think - had arranged this get together.  We had name badges to assist in identification but to be honest it was all a bit overwhelming - you know - didn’t know who to speak to first.  We chatted to a Scandinavian guy for quite a while and my normally good memory deserts me here because I can’t remember his name.  Met loads of other people - Elaine who we have since become friends with, The Amigos - Mark lives just down the road from us and many others whose faces are familiar from photo’s I have seen since but whose names I can’t remember.  It was an amazing get-together - another reason to cite my mantra - what did we do before the internet?

It’s in these situations I realise my social skills are a bit lacking.  I am rather uncomfortable in large groups and not very good at striking up random conversations - mental note - need practice, must get out more !!.

We were behind the stage very near the back for this gig - so much so that a more accurate description might be above the stage.  We were looking down almost directly onto Max’s head.  There was a big screen facing our way.  Certainly a different view and I wouldn’t hesitate to sit there again.

On my left hand side were a group of teenagers.  The lad next to me was so excited he couldn’t sit still.  I asked his age afterwards - 15.  He was thrilled to get ‘Seeds’ and he stayed in his seat for ‘New York City Serenade’ although his mates, who I understand were a little older, went for a bathroom break.  I actually heard one of them groan when the first strains of the piano intro started!

Now WIESS is not Mike’s favourite album. It’s grown on me.  I fell in love with 'Sandy' after I heard Johnnie Walker play the live version and I think I’ve mentioned before that 'Rosie' has wheedled it’s way into my affections.

'New York City Serenade' came on my ipod one day not many years ago when I was working out on our cross trainer.  I remember it because I had promised myself I would stop after the next song… ten minutes later!  It had obviously passed me by previously but I liked it straight away - even whilst I was gasping for air!!

'Incident' is a fabulous story song,  'The E Street Shuffle' is OK and I have even grown into 'Kitty' a little but (sorry Tony if you are still reading this) I haven’t yet come around to Wild Billy’s Circus Story.

Mike who, as I write this, is loading Bruce’s back catalogue to his new ipod Touch says that 'Sandy' and 'Serenade' are OK but he will happily de select the other tracks.

Here lies the difference between us.  Mike is comfortable if he doesn’t like a track.  I think I am missing something.

Anyway back to the show.  I just felt so privileged to be there. It’s hard to explain.  We had paid good money to be in that seat.  I was entitled to be there yet I knew I was lucky to be sitting in MSG watching Bruce Springsteen.  Lucky to have this passion in life.  Lucky to share it with Mike.  Many people have passions and yes I have laughed at anoraks who love train spotting or bird watching but what’s wrong with having a passion.  Whatever it is - your football team, stamp collecting, gardening (as long as it isn’t doing anyone else any harm) it can only enrich your life.

Bruce opened with 'Thundercrack' which I’ve always liked and, hey, a bit of a rarity live, which is good. ‘Prove It’ has been one of my favourites since Live in NYC (I love the opening few tracks on that DVD) and we hadn’t heard ’Human Touch’ since our first gig in April 1993. I am not as anti Lucky Touch as some people so it was great to hear this again.



I get really excited about going to gigs, so much so that on a few occasions I have made myself ill.  Thought, at my age, I would've grown out of this by now.  This night I had the most awful stomach cramps by the end of the show so we went straight back to the hotel via a Starbucks where I picked up a cup of tea to go.  I didn’t want to be ill for ’The River’ night which we were both really looking forward to.

Set List

Thundercrack
Seeds
Prove It All Night
Hungry Heart
Working On A Dream
The E Street Shuffle
4th July Asbury Park (Sandy)
Kittys Back
Wild Billy's Circus Story
Incident On 57th Street
Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
New York City Serenade
Waitin' On A Sunny Day
Raise Your Hand
Does This Bus Stop At 82nd Street?
Glory Days
Human Touch
Lonesome Day
The Rising
Born To Run
Wrecking Ball
Bobby Jean
American Land
Dancing In The Dark
Higher and Higher (With Elvis Costello)

No comments:

Post a Comment