Friday 19 November 2010

My Bruce Journey - Part 46

The way you sooth me when I'm in pain.  The way you make the blood rush in my veins'


So Plan B was put into operation because our Darkness box set didn’t arrive Saturday.

To say I was disappointed is understating the situation a tad.  I am, at heart, a planner and I’m not quick at adjusting when things don’t work out.  I was still fed up when we started watching the Take That documentary on Saturday night.  Now normally I would have quite enjoyed this.  I have nothing against the lads but a Take That documentary is still a very poor substitute for a Bruce Springsteen documentary.

By Monday I started to become quite irrational and began to think our box had got lost in the post.  What to do then?  I didn’t have a plan C!

You might be surprised to find that Mike and I do have a life which doesn’t involve Bruce.  We had things to do Monday but we couldn’t both be out of the house at the same time in case the package didn’t go through the letter box.  Mike went out first and did his stuff then I nipped to the shops.

We were both in when the letterbox rattled - no big thud meant no parcel - oh no!!  I’m beside myself practically shouting at Mike that I knew it was lost.  He is much calmer but looks disappointed.  Then I look through the window and the postman is hesitating - yes he’s stopped.  He’s turning round and in his hand is the best looking, most fabulous brown packet I have ever seen in my life.   I opened the door and snatched it out of his hands babbling incoherently.  He definitely thought I was mad - nuff said.



So we stuck to the original viewing plan and watched the documentary first.  Then we listened to the CDs. - well we put them on the stereo.  I’m not sure if I really listened but I’ve had them constantly on my iPod ever since and the more I hear them the more I love them.  I’m beginning to recognise the songs from the intros already - not sure if that’s a good sign.

Now I don’t have a musical ear so I can’t tell the new recording from the old and to be fair I don’t much care.  I either like something or not.

… So first impressions - there’s nothing I don’t like - nothing - and I can’t say that about any other Bruce album.

Love ‘Outside Looking In’ but then I’ve always been a Buddy Holly fan.  My brother played him a lot when I was a baby.  ’One Way Street’ is lovely - nice sax solo.  ‘The Brokenhearted’ and Candy’s Boy are fab.

I loved ‘Save My Love’ as soon as I heard it and ‘Spanish Eyes’ was already on my iPod from the boot.  Great version of ‘Fire’.  ’Talk To Me’ is already a Southside Johnny classic.  My favourite at this moment must be ’It’s a Shame’ I just love the intro - what does it remind me of? 



 Or is my favourite ’The Little Things My Baby Does’? 



We both know and love ‘The Promise’ from a cover version by Graziano Romani on an album we have - Light of Day - A Tribute To Bruce Springsteen. Great intro to ‘City of Night’ too - Taxi cab taxi cab…

And you all know how I feel about ‘The Way’.

Oh it’s just all so exciting and wouldn’t it make the basis of a great tour ? - I could sing along to all of these at the top of my voice.

So back to the rest of the box.  We watched the ’78 show from beginning to end in one sitting and Mike managed to stay awake.  He fell asleep during Hammersmith!  Actually he enjoyed it and he isn’t really a fan of early Bruce.  A bit controversial this but I don’t see that Bruce was so much better then than now.  He was into his forties by the time we first saw him so, that thrill of a live show, that recognition of what it was like to be there is only brought back to us in the later recordings like Live in NYC and Live in Barcelona.

Watching the early stuff is almost like watching someone else.  Don’t get me wrong It was amazing but the 2009 recording was our Bruce and I could relate to that better.  Here was the man that we go to see time and again.

For me the band sounded just as good now so despite all the discussions on Greasy Lake and BTX beforehand I don’t think the comparison was conclusive.

Well shorter post today as busy busy busy this weekend - non Bruce stuff - well Bruce related in a way I suppose. More of this next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment