Sunday 17 April 2011

Oh I Do Like To Be Beside The Sea

Well we have been away this weekend to visit my family on the Lincolnshire coast.  I've talked about my home town before - if I squint and suspend disbelief  I can pretend it's Asbury Park.  The weather was glorious and I love this photo I took through the open door of the beach hut




Irene, my sister -in -law, thinks we are the biggest Springsteen fans in the world but then we are the only Springsteen fans she knows.  She saves every article and snippet she finds and this week she handed over the Sunday Times Magazine from November last year.  We were in Dublin at The Gaslight Anthem gig the weekend this came out and missed it.  I was really disappointed at the time so getting hold of the article after all these months is great.

I haven't had chance to read it all but I notice Bruce says he's been for 'swim in the ocean'.  Now Sutton-on-Sea may look quite idyllic in the photo but I certainly won't be going for a swim in that ocean any time soon!!

Nick Rufford who interviewed Bruce and wrote the article says that he shouted out to Bruce after the Roundhay Park gig in 1985  'You didn't play 'No Surrender''.  A couple of weeks ago we were listening to a radio programme during which the DJ was asking people to text in to say what they would do if they had their time again or perhaps it was what you regretted not doing.  Either way Mike immediately said he would've gone to Roundhay Park.  We didn't live in Leeds at the time ourselves but all Mike's family were here so a bed for the night wouldn't have been a problem.

As I've touched on before it never even crossed our minds in those days to go to a live concert of any sort.    Anyway this struck a chord with me because he may not have played 'No Surrender' that day but I reckon he's played it at every gig we've been to since!!.  Well that's a bit of an exaggeration but we've heard it a lot and I'm happy to keep on hearing it.

From time to time on Greasy Lake someone poses a question along the lines of which song do you not want to hear live again (at least not for a long time)?  I expect 'No Surrender' would be some peep's choice but for me it has to be 'Because The Night' probably because it's so familiar to me from listening to the Patti Smith version in my youth.  This choice changes though.  If I had asked myself this during 2008 the answer would've been 'Mary's Place'.

As promised I've been working on my Bruce doll this week.  The dolls I've attempted so far have been copied, more or less exactly, from a book.  They were all female dolls and all had flat faces.

I've now progressed to sculptured faces - basically they have noses.  So again my first head was an exact copy.  For my second I tried to get more masculine features and the third is my first go at Bruce.  Those of you with a nervous disposition should look away now!






And finally for this week








No comments:

Post a Comment