Sunday 24 April 2011

Did We Miss It?

Two nearly moments on TV this week.

Firstly - American idol.  Now I know it's fashionable to knock this show but I have watched it on and off for a few years, and if I am absolutely honest, I prefer it to X Factor.  So Bruce was going to visit but would he actually appear on screen?  Well I didn't watch this week so I don't know but I assume the lack of any outrage from fans suggests he kept well away from any TV camera.

In the early years of American Idol rumour has it that Bruce wouldn't even give permission for a song of his to be performed.  Here's an old blog post from a fan talking about the first ever Springsteen cover done on the show.

Perhaps Bruce was at a loose end whilst he was in Los Angeles.  Although he seems to be happy just strolling along with Patti in these photos.


You know I love the way Patti just looks so ordinary when she's relaxing.

She certainly scrubs up well although MIke tells me he doesn't find her attractive.  He prefers Soozie.



The second nearly TV moment happened when we were channel hopping and chanced upon Elvis Costello's Spectacle on Sky Arts 1.  Bruce's episode is mentioned but I can't see when it's on.  Yeah yeah I know we have all seen it (in our case thanks to Tony P) but it's Bruce on the telly so you have to watch.

Just like yesterday when I strolled by the CDs whilst I was doing my weekly shop.  I spotted Songs For Japan and although I had no intention of buying it I just had to check out Bruce's name in the track listings.

We did manage to watch something on the box this week with a slight Springsteen connection thanks to a heads up from Ceinwen.  Cemetery Junction  is a film written and directed by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant and based loosely on 'Born to Run'.  It's about escaping from your boring job, mundane existence, home town and doing something exciting with your life.   Funny and quite poignant I enjoyed it although we were interrupted very near the end by a phone call and ended up watching the last 15 minutes or so on the plus 1 channel an hour later.  It spoiled the flow rather.

As films with Bruce connections go this wasn't my favourite.  That would be The Wrestler and I liked Reign Over Me.

Before I finish I've just had a quick peak around my usual message boards and blogs to check for any breaking news but it's very quiet.  Perhaps everyone is on holiday.

So that's it for this week except to say that Joe D'urso is starting his UK tour on 18th May. The dates are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment