Sunday 19 June 2011

Don't Cry Because It's Over...

I was still in bed when Mike told me that Clarence had died.  I was patting myself on the back for holding it all together.  Being British I'm not sure about outpourings of grief for people you don't really know.  Then Mike played Back in Your Arms and I shed more than a tear or two.  We are all going to miss this man so much.

We first saw Bruce live in 1993 on the Human Touch/Lucky Town tour.  Both of us were absolutely clueless about The E Street Band.  We wouldn't have recognised a band member if we had fallen over them in the street BUT we did know that there was a big black man who played the sax.  He wasn't on that tour of course but it only goes to prove that, apart from Bruce, with no disrespect to the other band members, Clarence is the only person most non Bruce fans would know about.

I bought Mike a saxophone for his 50th birthday. He was keen to learn some Clarence solos. Although he mastered a few songs, his tutor was a jazz musician and the rock tunes were never accomplished. Perhaps now he'll try again.

Today as we all mourn together many words have been written about how much we will miss the Big Man.  You Tube clips showing off his skills have come thick and fast. BBC and Sky news reported his death. Johnnie Walker finished his Radio 2 programme with Jungleland which surely includes the ultimate Clemons sax solo

The last time I saw Clarence live was at Madison Square Garden 8th November 2009.  I can't mention this weekend without reminding you that it was the best few days of my life so I pick my special Clarence moment from that weekend.






I last saw him on TV only a few weeks ago on stage with Lady Gaga at the American Idol finale.  He may not have been playing with Bruce but given Gaga's popularity he couldn't have been much more 'on trend'.  We know from what Clarence himself had said that he was thrilled to have been asked to play with her and, because of the Lady Gaga connection, at the time of his death it's possible Clarence was more famous than Bruce himself!  He would have wanted to leave us at the top of his game, and my word, he did just that.

Since the last tour there has been much speculation about whether The E Street band would ever tour again.  Maybe they won't but there's one thing for sure Born To Run will never be the same without a sax solo.  If Clarence is not there to play it will Bruce employ someone else?  If he does will the stage set up remain the same?  I don't know but ...

Whatever happens and whoever stands there Clarence's side of the stage will always be Clarence's side of the stage and his spirit will be there  - always.

To round off here is the statement from Brucesprinsteen.net

It is with overwhelming sadness that we inform our friends and fans that at 7:00 tonight, Saturday, June 18, our beloved friend and bandmate, Clarence Clemons passed away. The cause was complications from his stroke of last Sunday, June 12th.

Bruce Springsteen said of Clarence: Clarence lived a wonderful life. He carried within him a love of people that made them love him. He created a wondrous and extended family. He loved the saxophone, loved our fans and gave everything he had every night he stepped on stage. His loss is immeasurable and we are honored and thankful to have known him and had the opportunity to stand beside him for nearly forty years. He was my great friend, my partner, and with Clarence at my side, my band and I were able to tell a story far deeper than those simply contained in our music. His life, his memory, and his love will live on in that story and in our band.

And finally I'm stealing a quote from Dr Seuss :-

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.



1 comment:

  1. Well said! Although the song I put on and sobbed during was "The Last Carnival." even though it was about Danny. Just felt appropriate. Hang in there Jayne!!!

    ReplyDelete