Sunday 26 June 2011

It Takes Two

Last week’s blog was easier to write than I imagined it would be.  I wrote it on a wave of emotion and jotted down my thoughts as they came to me.  This week it has been harder. 
Clarence has been on my mind on and off all week.  People grieve in all sorts of ways.  I am what you might call a sporadic griever.  By this I mean I am sad in chunks rather than all the time. Even when the news broke I didn’t spend the day thinking about it but certain things have happened during the week that brought tears to my eyes.  Tenth Avenue Freeze Out on Radio 2 Monday morning.  Bobby Jean popping up on the iPod on the bus Thursday morning.  Brian Fallon’s little speech before he played The 59 Sound at Glastonbury.  
My dad died way back in 1977.  I had just turned 19 and everyone said I coped so well.  I did.  I got over it quickly yet I still cry now sometimes when Morecambe and Wise appear on the TV (they were his favourite).   I miss him to this day.  I always will.
And I will always miss Clarence.

So it’s the tone and content of this week’s blog that I’ve pondered over.  Do I simply go back to the blog  I was writing before our world was turned on it’s head?  Do I talk more about Clarence or do I talk about what might happen next?
I have flirted with Greasy Lake this week but everyone still seems so raw and many folks aren’t quite ready to move on. I’m not sure if I want to hear about other peeps grief.  it only makes me more sad and can be a self perpetuating thing stopping us ever being ready to move on.  I’ve not been near for a few days.  I need my thoughts to be my own.  Need to deal with it in my own way without outside influence.

I admit I am one of those who, with a sad heart, is ready to look ahead.
Lets be honest there have been threads wondering what would happen if Clarence wasn’t ever well enough to perform again so it’s not a new discussion.  It’s just that we didn't really believe he would never play again.  I suppose we always thought Danny would come back again too.  We told ourselves Charlie was only a temporary replacement.  We accepted him as such, and when the worst happened, we were already used to him.
So, with apologies to those of you who are not ready to consider the future, I give you my thoughts.  What about a horns section?  This has been suggested often enough in the past.  Bruce can then play what he wants, with or without a saxophone solo, and when the time comes no single person has to be front and centre...just a thought. 
As I am writing this I feel as if I need some light relief after all and there is one thing I had been thinking about - not entirely seriously.  Consider these three facts:-
  1. We think Bruce’s new producer is Ron Aniello - Patti’s man
  2. Bruce has done a bunch of duets in the last year or so with various artists
  3. Bruce and Patti did do that duet recently for the Every Mother Counts CD
and there's this


So next album - Patti and Bruce doing an album of covers !!  I’ve been thinking of songs they could try:-
Islands in the Stream 
Something Stupid
I got you Babe
And what about 
Cinderella Rockefella or Save Your Love - for those of you outside the UK you may not be familiar with these gems.  Believe it or not they both got to number 1 over here.




See what you can come up with.  You can use the comments box for your suggestions or my Facebook friends can post your thoughts there!!

If you can't think of any there's a list of famous duets here.

2 comments:

  1. I'm ALMOST with you on the Bruce/Patti thing... I'm actually a big fan of Patti's solo music, and I could see them eventually doing an album together just the two of them, but not of covers. I mean, yes, they were both part of the Sessions band, but I feel like that was a one-off kind of thing. If we're getting an album of the two of them, I think (and seriously hope) it'd be original material!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara. Thanks for commenting. I love Patti's albums too. I played 'Rumble Doll' to death when I first bought it and still love it now. '23rd Street...' and 'Play it...' are just as good. I wasn't really being serious about the covers thing. I'm with you on a duets album. Can't imagine just the two of them touring with it though but you never know!

    ReplyDelete