Sunday 3 July 2011

Save Some Time To Dream

Some weeks when I start to write my blog I find myself a bit deflated.  There are so many Springsteen blogs out there that there is nothing I can say that hasn't already been published more than once already.  This is particularly evident when nothing much is happening because we are all finding the same scraps of news!

Anyway I can recommend that you visit Blogness this week and listen to the audio of Drive All Night.  This is one of my favourite blogs and always worth a look.

We bought Eddie Vedder's album - Ukulele Songs this week.  One of our Bruce Buddies - Tony - recommended it. Mike isn't sure if he likes it. I have only listened to it once so far but I thought it was OK.  I need to listen a few more times to be sure if I really like it. I haven't had time this week because I've been playing a lot of John Mellencamp - more of this later.

Anyway Tony suggested we don't, as he put it, waste our money in future buying stuff that we may not like.  A copy could be slipped surreptitiously in our direction to test the waters first so to speak.  Now this might sound like a good idea but those of you who have followed this blog may remember that I have a love of sleeve notes.  This means that copies and downloads don't really do it for me.

I may be old fashioned but I still like browsing round HMV and buying a CD sometimes because I know only one of the tracks or because a friend or colleague has suggested it.  I like the anticipation of taking it home, putting it on the stereo and not knowing what I'm going to get.  Don't get me wrong we do have a lot of copies (should I be admitting that?) but they are always albums I would never have bought myself anyway.

So Eddie Vedder is to be played next week.

Last week I was preparing for our John Mellencamp gig which we went to on Friday.


I was a little dubious prior to the event as there were some strange reviews on Greasy Lake particularly about a film that was shown before the live gig.  The film was a little odd and if I had not been pre-warned I think I would have wondered what on earth was going on.

Before John came on we were treated to a Johnny Cash track. I can't remember what the track was which is probably ignorant of me as I am sure it had some significance.  John's appearance was announced over the PA system along with a list of his achievements - you know the sort of thing - nominated for x number of Grammy awards etc etc

So far I wasn't impressed but he bounced onto the stage full of eneregy. He was singing something I didn't know but all the audience stood and cheered and sang along. Everyone was really up for it throughout.  It reminded me a little of my first Bruce show. We had invited ourselves to the party but had only half of an idea what was going on!  The Manchester Apollo was almost full and I have to say I thouroughly enjoyed it.  In my after concert euphoria I told Mike it was the best show I had been to after Bruce... then I remembered Gaslight Anthem and Mike reminded me about Southside Johnny who I really like.   So the jury is out for the time being.  

The one thing that would stop me going again is the price of the ticket - £80 (including the extras they add on) for just under two hours was a bit steep I thought.  Of course Bruce spoils us.

He actually didn't play many tracks from the new album but he did play this which I love but then I'm a sucker for songs about having dreams and making the most of the time we have.



There were a few Springsteen T shirts around and this in the local Macdonalds.


Not quite The Hard Rock Cafe but it's the best I can do for now.

                              ---------------------------------------

We had a sad little moment this week.  June's picture on our 2011 calendar happened to be this:-






I couldn't bring myself to turn it over at first but.. look at July's photo - a reminder of the great times on tour - this picture can't fail to make you smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment