Sunday 17 July 2011

Is It a Bird? Is It a Plane?...

No! it's Bruce Springsteen.

So the latest incarnation of Superman is based on Bruce Springsteen. Well what can I say? It's an obvious comparison. We all knew he was Superman anyway!

from Ultimate Classic Rock

I know nothing about comics but Grant Morrison is a Scottish comic book writer and playwright.  Don't know if he is a Bruce fan though but got to assume he is.

Now when I search around for stuff to talk about I simply Google 'Springsteen' and up pops anything that mentions Bruce.  I haven't come across this blog before, presumably because he hasn't featured our man previously.  There's a fab little quiz in this post.  It only takes 40 seconds so why not have a go.  I've only listened once and I was rubbish!  My brain works too slowly to reach into the memory for the song title before it's gone and I'm having to think about the next.

All the songs in the quiz are well known to us but Your Friday Bruce Fix has some unusual tracks for you to listen to.

I wouldn't say we think about Bruce all the time but we don't very often miss a connection however tenuous.  Last night we were watching the quiz that goes along with the lottery draw and there's a question about  characters in a John Steinbeck novel.  Didn't know the correct answer but did know it wasn't 'The Grapes of Wrath" because the character in that was Tom Joad.  This on it's own might not excite much of a comment but a couple of questions later and "Code of Silence' came up as an optional answer.  Two Bruce links in one show has to be worth a mention!!

To finish this week some old news but in case you haven't seen it here's a link to Rolling Stones Readers Poll :The Greatest Bruce Springsteen Songs.  No surprises here but I had to chuckle at  Bill Screitmueller's comment :-

'Asking what's your favorite Bruce Springsteen song is like asking who's your favorite child -- you just can't do it.' 

No comments:

Post a Comment