Sunday 10 July 2011

Write This Down And Don't Forget It

If you are a regular on Facebook you will know that questions are being posed all the time - you know the sort of thing 'What's your favourite song from 'Dirty Dancing?''  'How many of these films have you seen?'  'What sort of cat food do you feed your moggy?'  Now I am a bit of a quiz/survey junkie so at first I couldn't help myself - I answered every question going. Nowadays I try to pass but in the last couple of weeks I've had questions I couldn't refuse - my favourite track from various Springsteen albums.


I had to go for 'can't choose' on the 'Born To Run' Question because I really can't.  Now I know for most people it's a no brainer - Thunder Road yes? But although Thunder Road is an absolute masterpiece I still can't dismiss Born To Run.  It's BTR that makes me jump up and down, BTR that makes me sing at the top of my voice and BTR that can lift me on a bad day, so for it's pure joyfulness, for it's ability to make me happy when I'm down I have to put BTR on a par with Thunder Road.  


Badlands is a feel good song for me too, so reasoning that I couldn't sit on the fence again, I chose this as my favourite from 'Darkness'.  It was a difficult decision though as I really like The Promise Land and Darkness itself.


'WIESS' was an easy choice for me - Sandy.  It is so evocotive of my own teenage life on the coast. The beach, the amusements, the fairground.


No questions about any other album yet but coincidently Mike had been picking a track from each album to put on his iPhone the other week.  He keeps most of his music on an iPod and this is just a back up.   Now Mike and I probably don't agree on the best track on many a Bruce album.  Atlantic City and Youngstown are possibly the only two.  His list is here.


Aint Good Enough For You
Atlantic City 
Back In Your Arms
Drive All Night
For You 
Hearts Of Stone
I Wanna Be With You
I Wish I Were Blind
John Henry
Kingdom Of Days
Living Proof
Long Walk Home
Matamoras Banks
No Surrender
The Promised Land
The Rising 
The River
When You Need Me 
When You're Alone
Wrong Side Of The Street
Youngstown
4th July Asbury Park (Sandy)


Now here's a question for you - can you say which album each of the tracks are from?  I know this should be easy for most of you but I'm really bad at matching tracks to albums.



Bruce and Joe DePugh from the article


So I've read a couple of articles this week - I think I already knew a bit about Bruce's influence for Glory Days but this was still an interesting read.








Then there's this piece about Clarence's footballing days. I like this paragraph:-


Boozer said the last time he saw Clemons face to face was about 1971 at a restaurant on Wall Street. Clemons spoke excitedly about being on the verge of a major breakthrough. Boozer says he also remembers that conversation as if it were yesterday.
“I asked him what he was doing, and he told me that he had met a blue-eyed soul brother who was going to make him a lot of money,” Boozer said. “I asked him what he meant, and he said that he had met a young fella who could really sing, who stirs the crowd, gets them all involved. He said write this down and don’t forget it: Bruce Springsteen."

Last little snippet for this week.  I've been visiting Twitter a lot more lately.  I've discovered it's quite good when I am watching a TV programme or sporting event.  Other folks comments about, for instance 'The Apprentice', can be quite entertaining.  More entertaining than the programme itself you might say.  
Got onto this trending thing too.  I'm keeping up with the news now.  Found out, because they were trending on Twitter, when Peter Falk had died and that South Sudan had been 'born'. 
Anyway to get to the point.  I popped onto Twitter yesterday and saw that Jay Weinberg was  stuck on a plane and to relieve the boredom he was asking if anyone wanted to have a game of  'Words With Friends' (for anyone who doesn't know It's an app a bit like Scrabble). So Mike is now playing 'Words' with Jay Wienberg.  So are several hundred other people who saw the tweet!! ... But hey it's sort of a claim to fame.  




No comments:

Post a Comment