Sunday 5 February 2012

Dreams Can Come True

The first time I heard Working On a Dream was almost 4 years ago during Barack Obama's campaign for the Democratic nomination to run for president of the USA - awful whistling.



At least, I think I have described this rally correctly.  I acquired my knowledge of US politics almost entirely from watching 'The West Wing'. This must be my favourite TV show of all time and whilst it might not have been exactly true to life, it did at least give me an inkling of the way the US political system works.  I mean how else would I know that The President pardons a turkey at Thanksgiving?

Anyway I've veered a little off topic here.

I'm not keen on WOAD - the track not the album - although the album isn't my favourite either. Love the sentiment - don't love the song.  Having said that, shortly after the album was released, I started working on a dream of my own. I needed to get fit enough to go to Hyde Park and Dublin, so rather perversely, even though I don't particularly like the song it does have special meaning for me.  It will forever remind me of that particular time in my life. BUT Bruce you could have written me something a bit more rousing to help me along!

I started thinking about this because Follow That Dream came on my iPod this week.  I'm a big fan of the BITUSA outtakes and this is a real goody.  In my opionion much much better than WOAD, but then researching this for my blog, I have discovered it's not a Springsteen song at all!

He mentions here that it is one of his favourite Elvis Presley songs.



Now I'm not an Elvis fan.  I don't dislike him, you understand, but I can take him or leave him. This is my excuse for having such a gap in my musical knowledge.

Bruce talks about following dreams in many many songs - the couple in BTR are reaching for a dream, the couple in Thunder Road are leaving town to find their dream, Meet Me In The Land Of Hope And Dreams etc etc etc.

I am partculary partial to a never-give-up-on-your-dreams-just-go-for-it type of song.  I find them very uplifting: very inspiring.  They can persuade me that I can do anything - at least for the duration of the song!

And talking about dreams and Elvis this is one of his best. It brings a lump to my throat whenever I hear it.  Having said I'm not an Elvis fan I reckon he really pulls it out of the bag on this one.



 It's on this list of The 100 Most Beautiful Song Lyrics and look what's at the position below!


On a completely different subject I bought a new compact camera this week. I guess most people judgea cameras on their ability to take a good holiday photo or a good landscape. I, on the other hand, needed a decent zoom and one that takes good pictures in low light. Yes you've guessed it - I'm planning on smuggling it into a gig.

Anyway I've been playing with it.  It has one of those thingys that isolates certain colours. Here's something you will recognise with the red bits only highlighted.

No comments:

Post a Comment