Sunday 29 January 2012

Mr Springsteen I Presume

Would you like to meet Bruce?


Just a random photo- don't know the people
This thorny subject, in the form of one question or another, has been discussed regularly on Greasy Lake over the years.  Some know exactly what they would say if they met him, some doubt whether they would be in a fit state to say anything at all and some don't want to meet him because they believe he might not live up to their dreams.


Beau and Josh
I've been pondering the question this week after reading the story (which I mentioned last week) of Beau and Josh from California who met our man in Asbury Park the other week. 


Now - not wanting to meet Bruce isn't an option for me. Beau makes him sound so lovely that I can't imagine saying I don't want to meet him.


Another random pic from Google images
I'd like to shake his hand, doubt I would be brave enough to ask for a photo and I don't think I would say anything other than 'Hi. Great to meet you'. I could tell him that I've loved his music since BTR but it hardly makes me stand out from the crowd! I know many people would really like to tell Bruce how his music has been the soundtrack to their lives - you know - 'Your music has meant so much to me throughout my life' blah blah blah'  This always strikes me as being a bit over the top.


Anyway it's not likely to happen. I don't live in New Jersey or even the USA for that matter. I can hardly nip down to Asbury Park at the weekend to stroll up and down the boardwalk on the off chance, or take a trip to Rumson pretending to check out the real estate.


Our friend Elaine with Bruce
I'm not likely to bump into him shopping on Briggate in Leeds.  I don't expect he has set foot in Leeds since Roundhay Park in 1985.


He does come over to our little island from time to time when Jessica is jumping.  I rode myself many years ago as I mention in this post so I would enjoy a day out at The Horse of the Year Show.  It's not the place to meet Bruce though. Well I wouldn't approach him.  He is there being Mr Springsteen - a dad supporting his daughter - and I wouldn't want to intrude.  I couldn't guarentee that I wouldn't stand open mouthed and gawp though!


lucky Leah who actually wanted to meet Jessica
Leah  has me wondering whether I could hatch another plan. What about ' Hello Mr Springsteen.  I think your daughter is a very talented rider'  As well as meeting him, this has the added advantage of tapping into his parental pride, and thereby getting into his good books.  I'm not a good liar though so I think he would see straight through my subterfuge. 

I'm not sure I could bring myself to hang around outside a hotel.  Don't get me wrong I have no problem if it's your sort of thing but it seems a bit undignified to me. 


Staying in the same hotel is a possible solution, if you know where Bruce is staying, and the price is within your reach. I'd even stretch the budget to get a room.  My logic might be a bit woolly here but try to stay with me.  If you have paid for a room, the hotel is as much yours as it is Bruce's so it can't be helped if you bump into him.  An added bonus is you would be meeting him as an equal in a way - as a fellow resident. Sinead and Cein - I'm rooting for you.


Jeremy Zelkowitz and Bruce
I clutch at a very small chance of a meeting Bruce via an entirely different route - Eric Clapton.  Yeah I speak of the famous British Stratocaster player. My brother (Ian) was adopted and when our parents died he set out to find his birth family. He found two half brothers one of whom is Eric Clapton's production manager - Mick Double. He gets a mention here and here's a list of his credits.


Mick produced the Cream concert at The Royal Albert Hall in 2005. He invited my brother and sister in law to meet Eric at the gig. Their daughter and her husband who live in Vancouver were guests at Eric's concert last year and were intoduced to him.


Now whilst I am not suggesting that Bruce and Eric are bosom buddies they have played on the same stage together.





I'm wondering if I can persuade my brother, to persuade Mick, to persuade his producer, to persuade Eric's management team, to persuade Bruce's management team that Bruce and Eric could do some sort of show together ... AND give me and Mike a backstage pass.


Hmmmm - it's a bit of a long shot.


Perhaps I will just have to swallow my pride and stand outside that hotel after all.


**********


Oh by the way Mike has just pointed out that I'm closer to Bruce than I thought -  Six degrees of separation? pah! I'm the sister - of someone who's met Eric Clapton - who's played on the same stage as Bruce Springsteen.






All bloggers appreciate comments - good or bad - so please feel free to make a comment by clicking below

2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking the '6 degrees thing' as I read the Clapton bit LOL :)

    (Have you never fancied meeting Mr Clapton? Sounds like an interesting possibility!)

    Jax

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jax - I wouldn't say 'no' if we were invited to a Clapton concert but so far we haven't had the call.

    ReplyDelete