Sunday 22 January 2012

The New Single







The trouble with writing a weekly blog is you can't keep on top of the breaking news. This is particularly evident this week. With the single being released and the details of the new album available a few days ago I'm a bit late to the party.


Actually all the info was out there on Monday. rockcol.com reported that the new album was to be called 'Wrecking Ball' and would be introduced to us with a single - 'We Take Care Of Our Own'. 


They also said:-


Other songs to be featured in the new album are “Jack of all trades”, “Easy money”, “We are alive”, “You’ve got it”. There will also be a version of "Land of hope and dreams” (a song that appeared in live sets and was put in the live album "Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band: Live in New York City"): the song will be graced by a sax solo by the late Clarence Clemons..


Then from Point Blank there was a list of track titles and an alternative title for the album. 

1. Rocky Ground
2. Death to My Hometown
3. We Take Care of Our Own
4. Easy Money
5. Jack of All Trades
6. The Depression
7. You've Got It
8.We 're Alive
9. Shackled and Drawn
10. Wrecking Ball
11. Land of Hope and Dreams

A second source says there will be 12 songs on the disc and the title could be "Rocky Ground". So far none of this has been confirmed.






But by Wednesday the single was, indeed, confirmed.











And by Thursday we had the album details as well






There have been so many rumours about this release over, what seems like, months.  When something resembling the truth leaks we all take it with a pinch of salt.  As it turns out this latest gossip was, more or less, correct.


Speaking of being late to the party - as an early to bed early to rise person ( It doesn't seem to have made me healthy, wealthy or wise by the way) I didn't hear the single when it was first available.  Sitting on the bus at 6.50am on Wednesday morning it seemed, from a quick visit to Facebook, that the world and his wife were already several steps ahead of me.


I managed a couple of listens during my lunch break and liked it instantly, in the same way as I liked 'Radio Nowhere' straight away.  Hopefully this bodes well for the album as I'm a big fan of Magic.  Mind you I'm not keen on 'Wrecking Ball' - although Tom Cunningham (on Bruce Brunch) suggested the album track is a new version.  'Land of Hope and Dreams' is up there among my favourites, though, and 'American Land'?  Will it be a revamped version do you think?


Anyway by the time I got home Mike had downloaded 'We Take Care of Our Own', burnt it to a CD and was playing it on repeat whilst dancing around the kitchen.  We played it a lot and I mean A LOT that evening.  Reminded me of my teenage days when I would buy a '45' and play it over and over - driving my parents to distraction no doubt.  Repeat playings haven't dampened my enthusiasm - I really like it.


I've only a vague idea of what the song is about. I don't go in for the deeper meanings probably because I don't really understand them. I love 'Living in the Future'. I know it has some underlying meaning because people tell me so.  I've never got to grips with it and the song makes no sense to me but I still love it.


As you might expect , WTCOOO has already been dissected by those that like to analyse Bruce's words in minute detail. If you are interested I quite like this which isn't too 'deep'.  I might check out some other sites and cover this more next week.


Yet another rumour surfaced in the last couple of days - this time about USA tour dates.  NJ.Com reports several dates in New Jersey followed by a show at Madison Square Garden before our man hits Europe.


And finally here's a lovely story about two lucky people who met Bruce last week. How excited the writer is about meeting Bruce??  I'm green again!  


See you next time.















No comments:

Post a Comment