Sunday 15 January 2012

A Deadly Sin

I don't consider myself to be an envious person.  Don't get me wrong I wish I could win the lottery but I'm not envious of those who do.  We throw our £££ in and have the same chance as the next man. We can do no more.  I have friends who have interesting well paid jobs and I sometimes wish I was the same but I decided long ago that I was no career girl so no point in being envious.  Envy is a pointless emotion. It just makes you miserable. Either do something about it or settle for the fact that nothing can be done and move on.


BUT

when it comes to Bruce I can't help myself.  There is absolutely no point in being envious of the people who were at 'Light of Day' (LOD) last night.  There is no point torturing myself looking at set lists and pictures and YouTube clips but I keep looking and yes yes yes I'm green with envy.  

Realistically, though, We are never going to go (unless we win the aforementioned lottery). I'm a big Southside Johnny fan and Mike would like to see Joe Grushecky. I could tell you that we would go just to see them or because it's such a good cause but I am rather ashamed to admit that if I was there and Bruce didn't turn up I would be gutted. It's OK if you live in New York or Philadelphia or New Jersey itself.  If you can get a ticket for The Paramount show on Saturday you don't have so far to travel but to 3500 miles is a long way to go to be disappointed.  So I've talked myself out of being envious.  There's no point.

Each week when I sign off I think that the following week I will be talking about a new album.  Nothing concrete yet but Bruce has been in Asbury Park shooting a video. Assuming things are going to follow the same pattern as previous years this will be related to a track released in advance of the album. Here's a quote from a Backstreets poster:-


Clad in a dark leather jacket, The Boss braved the chilly temps and gusty winds to film a video with his pal, singer-songwriter Willie Nile, who is believed to add guest vocals on the soon-to-be-released track. Bruce seemed anything but angry, however, even stopping to pose for pictures with fans who are in town for the week-long “Light of Day” charity concerts, according to observers.
“He filmed at Johnny Mac House of Spirits, the Irish Pub on Main Street, and then he went down Mattison Avenue and into the old Savoy Theater,” says a source. The theater, which was built in 1911 and once housed vaudeville performances, is undergoing a massive renovation.



Blogness says that "the band has reportedly been rehearsing the new material" also in Asbury Park.  This must be very clandestine as normally we would have heard from fans hanging around outside the rehearsal venue telling us about the snippets of songs they can hear.


So all in all things are moving on but we know nothing.  Are Bruce's people doing a better job of keeping things under wraps than usual or do we know nothing because there is nothing yet to know?


Back to LOD. I've reproduced the set list here even though it's old news now:-


1. Incident on 57th Street (solo acoustic)
Bruce left the stage, Joe Grushecky and the Houserockers performed East Carson Street
Bruce returns
2. Darkness on the Edge of Town
3. Never be Enough Time (with Joe Grushecky)
4. Adam Raised a Cain
5. Save my Love
6. Talk to the King (with Joe Grushecky)
7. Atlantic City
8. Johnny 99
9. I’m not Sleeping
10. Because the Night
11. Waiting on a Sunny Day
12. Pumping Iron
13. Light of Day (with Max Weinberg on drums)
14. The Promised Land
15. Twist and Shout
16. Thunder Road (acoustic)



Here's a picture of the man on stage.  I like to get Mike's opinion of Bruce's latest fashion statement. He's not keen on the jacket.  Says he won't be getting one.  Well don't suppose he could afford one anyway.  looks very expensive to me.




He likes the shirt though:-






And finally because I can't let LOD go by without including a clip.









2 comments: