Saturday 28 August 2010

My Bruce Journey - Part 33

'What is this land America so many travel there'


I really can’t remember why we decided to go to Madison Square Garden (MSG).  In many ways the decision was a no brainer but previously we hadn’t been very adventurous.  OK so we had been to Paris and Dublin but New York City is in a different league especially to folks like us who don’t do a lot of travelling.

I think we kind of knew it was going to be our last chance for a while.  Although there had never been any specific talk about a farewell tour there was a feeling in the air that it would be the last for some time and whilst I had been given the all clear for now I wonder if, in the back of my mind, there was a thought that it would be better to do this thing sooner rather than later.  Certainly we would never have forgiven ourselves if we hadn’t gone and it turned out to be our last chance for whatever reason.

By this time I think Tony and Maria had decided to go to Meadowlands on a Badlands trip.  We were green with envy.  We had toyed with the idea of a Giants Stadium gig before and were put off by the will call system which requires you to pick up the tickets personally before the gig.  Travelling backwards and forwards between New York and New Jersey picking up tickets and going to gigs seemed too much hassle. Looking back I think we were easily put off!!

A trip with Badlands would have got around this problem but we weren’t prepared to stump up the extra £££££.  Any thoughts of more gigs had to be banished and we consoled ourselves by following the set lists on GL and searching for clips on You Tube.  I know I have said this before but what did we do before the internet?

I wasn’t sure about the full album thing.  It’s OK if you like the album but what if you can only afford to go to one gig and on that night Bruce decides to play your least favourite album.  Would you be gutted?  I suppose you have to hope that the rest of the night makes up for it….and what about the fact that you know what’s coming next - actually I don’t.  We bought a lot of the back catalogue at the same time and I committed what some of you will think is a mortal sin.  I put them on my iPod and listened to them randomly.  I’m sorry Bruce I am sure the order of the tracks is vitally important but I don’t always even know what track is from what album - sacrilege - and I call myself a fan!!!

The tickets went on sale on 18th September 2009 - 5.00pm UK time but the tension had been building on GL for weeks.  It’s a relatively small venue so lots of folks thought getting tickets would be particularly difficult.  I posted much more than usual during the build up.  My excitement got the better of me and I was bursting to let everyone know that we were thinking of going.

This turned out to be a good decision as Sinead, who we had met briefly in Dublin, saw that I was trying for tickets and was equally excited to let me know she and husband Steve together with Ceinwen and Hywel (who we also met in Dublin) were hoping to go too.

So we are building up to the hour - the strategy is to grab anything we can.  I've been to the loo (several times!).  I have a cup of tea to keep me going although a glass of brandy to calm the nerves may have been more appropriate.  Mike’s on his computer in our spare room upstairs and I am on the laptop at the kitchen table.  He’s trying for first night and I’m trying for second.  Five four three two one … go !!!  My hands are shaking as I try to hit the right keys.  Then that message that tells you not to do anything or you will lose your place in the queue …….. it’s agonising just watching and waiting.  Whoopee we both have tickets - you have three minutes to complete this page - more shaking hands.

Within 10 minutes Mike had a pair of tickets for behind the stage and I had halfway down in front of the stage. I can’t believe it. I’m so giddy!!

Then what seemed like hours and hours finding flights and a hotel.  Well flights were easy but those of you who have followed this blog will know I am a bit fussy about my hotels. So this is the procedure:-

1. Find a hotel that I like the look of and we can afford.  This in itself is not easy as all the ones I really like are way too expensive.
2. Go on to Trip advisor to read the reviews - It’s dirty or it’s shabby or it’s in a bad part of town or….
3. OK back to searching again
4. Back to trip advisor - rave reviews
5. No rooms available.
6. Another search - Mike’s had enough, gone to watch TV and left the decision to me.
7. I decide on a hotel but Mike comes back again and casts doubt on my choice.
8. We both get fed up and plump for anything that looks half decent.

So we have flights (we are going on 4th November and coming back on 10th) hotel, tickets to MSG and The Empire State Buliding and a vague notion about going to Asbury Park on one of the days we are there

No comments:

Post a Comment