Sunday 22 May 2011

Be Happy

So I am on the bus Monday morning and Thunder Road comes on the trusty iPod.  Now I love Thunder Road.  Is it the only Bruce song that everyone agrees on?  I mean some fans aren't keen on Born To Run or Badlands or Rosalita or... I could go on and on - but is there any one who doesn't like Thunder Road?

Anyway despite my love for the song it did make me realise that I had heard it a lot lately and actually I haven't listened to anything but Bruce on my iPod for weeks - maybe even months.  I gave myself a sharp talking to - this just won't do.  I know nobody can match up to our man but I must widen my horizons.

I resolved to upload some other music this weekend and not allow myself to listen to Bruce for at least a week.  Don't know if I can do it though.  Just after my decision was made Livin' In The Future came on - I hadn't heard this for a while and it's one of my favourites. Then When You Need Me - so long since I'd heard this that I had almost forgotten about it.  I really like this track although I know it might be a bit too much like a love song for some people's taste.  For me it is romantic but not lovey dovey - typically Bruce.  There's a favourite line of mine in this song - 'And when those mean days come along we'll stand together and we'll take 'em on'.  I'd like to think that's me and Mike - do I hear you go ahhhhhh?  So I'm thinking now that this stuff is too good to give up for even a day let alone a week but I will give it a go.

I do like lots of other music.  I was reminded of this when three songs which I would probably put in my top 100 came on the radio one after the other last week :-

1. Free Electric Band by Albert Hammond just because I love the idea of giving up a comfortable life to go and play in a band. Mike and I often wish we were a bit more adventurous - like the couple in Lonestar's What About Now (dare I admit I quite liked Lonestar?) - or of course Born To Run

2. Be Young Be Foolish Be Happy by The Tams.  Well the title speaks for itself here except at my age I can only aspire to being young at heart, as do The Tams themselves judging by this!




3. The Wonder Of You just because it's a beautiful song.

My brother - who is 64 this year - rang Monday night to say he had seen Lady Gaga on the Beeb doing The Radio 1Big Weekend gig and he thought she was great. He has always been a music buff and has influenced my music choices throughout my life. Being a musician himself he appreciates the technical ability of the performer.  So if he likes Gaga she must be good.  Whatever you think of her, and of course now we know she loves Bruce I have to give her some respect, she's a star without a doubt.  She fascinates me although I'm not entirely sure about her music.

Now Gaga might be influenced by Bruce but it seems his influence elsewhere has declined somewhat. Lady Gaga is apparently now the world's most powerful celebrity whilst Bruce - well see for yourself.  Get yourself out on tour man!

The Springsteen bust I mentioned the other week is causing a stir in New Jersey.  I've found a couple of articles about it this week and there is some heated debate about the merits of the sculpture and whether or not you are being disloyal if you don't like it.

If you are interested there's an article here and here.

This picture gives you an idea of the likeness.






If you are not into sculpture maybe you will be inspired to write a poem about Bruce which you can submit to this website.  Actually I think it's a scam but I'm not sure what the scammers are getting out of it.  I see on another forum that many people have been told they are runners up but I can't find anyone who has won any money.

And last of all this week the Express has a nice little article about Bruce the family man.  It's always good to see something in the UK press.  Shows we still think about him this side of the pond.

Whilst you are reading that I'm off to find something new to put on the iPod.

No comments:

Post a Comment