Sunday 21 August 2011

Songs From My iPod: Track 1

I listen to my iPod most days on my bus journey to and from work. 
 Always on shuffle - sometimes the whole library, sometimes just Bruce.
 This is a series of posts inspired by one of the songs I have heard during the previous week.


This week hasn't been so good, for reasons I won't bore you with, and my number one man has been away for a few days.  It's at times like this I turn to Bruce so my iPod has been playing all Bruce all the time.

So one morning... 'one, two, keyboards down, three, four'.  This is Bruce's count in to Unsatisfied Heart although it's cut from the beginning of this version.



A quick search of the internet has revealed the lyrics and guitar tab which only goes to prove that I like this song because of the melody particularly the chorus.  I had no clue about the rest of the lyrics and now I've seen them I'm not at all sure what they mean.  It's one of those Springsteen songs with that underlying menacing feel and that recurring theme of his about the bad things you do coming back to haunt you... I think! Anyway here you are


Unsatisfied Heart - Bruce Springsteen

           Eb
Sir I am a pilgrim
        Ab              Eb
And a stranger in this land
Eb
Once I had a home here
   Fm                Db
My salvation was at hand
Eb
I lived in a house of gold
Ab                   Eb
Yeah on the far hill side
Eb
I had two beautiful children
       Fm             Db
And a kind and loving wife

 CHORUS:
         Fm
 And you live 
        Db        Eb             Ab
 With unsatisfied heart, can you live
        Db        Eb             Fm
 With unsatisfied heart, can you live
        Db        Eb             Ab
 With unsatisfied heart, can you live
        Db        Eb
 With unsatisfied heart

And one day a man came to town
With nothing and nowhere to go
He came to me and he mentioned
Something I’d done a long time ago

I allowed him into my home
On his vow that secret wouldn’t see the light
At night I lay awake in my wife’s arms
She sighed Joe are you alright

 CHORUS

 BREAK: Eb Ab Eb Fm
        Eb Ab Eb Fm
        Ab Db Eb
        Ab Db Eb
        Ab Db Eb
        Ab Db Eb

Day after day, time
Yeah time passed on by
But I could feel myself changing
Yeah changing deep inside

One night I woke up
And as my wife did sleep
I got dressed in the darkness
And I fled into the street

 CHORUS

Night after night
The same dream keeps comin round
I'’m standing high on the green hills
On the outskirts of town

The night air fills my lungs
And rustles my shirt
I can see the house where we live
The building where I used to work

As I draw near
The town’s lit by a red summer moon
I feel your arms around me
I wake up in this room
 
CHORUS

I also see that you can buy the BITUSA outtakes from here but DON'T because one of your friends among our Bruce community is bound to let you have a copy for free.

Anyway hearing Unsatisfied Heart got me to thinking about The Way.  They were my two favourite unreleased songs.

When I was hoping for a tour on the back of 'The Promise' I harboured a vain hope that I might get to hear The Way live.  Rumour had it, at the time, that Bruce doesn't like the song so, if that's true, perhaps a live version was really unlikely.  Now I assume any up coming tour will be to promote a new venture so perhaps the few songs from The Carousel gig is all we are going to see of 'The Promise' live.

Mike's big wanna hear is Back in Your Arms .  No doubt he has a better chance than me as this does get an airing from time to time.  He missed it by one show back in November 2009 but would he have traded 'The River' night at MSG to hear BIYA in Cleveland?

We all know that part of the magic of a Springsteen concert is not knowing what gem you might get and isn't it ironic that you can be chasing the one song that someone else has heard several times.  One of my best Bruce buddies mentioned the other week that she is still waiting to hear Land of Hope and Dreams. We've heard it three times!

On what you might think is a completely different subject  Mike and I are thinking about decorating our kitchen.  At the moment we have some framed pictures of New York City on the wall but I was wondering whether to go for a stencil instead - something like this:-





But! but!! but!! whilst I was looking I found this:-


and I really like this one on Ebay.  Hmmm can I lean him somewhere?  I am so tempted !!

1 comment: