Wednesday 23 January 2013

P.S.

LOD 2013
Part 1





Prologue

I’ve started a year book. It’s not a diary just bits and pieces - what I am looking forward to, what I hope to achieve and significant events that happen in the year.

On the opening page I say that I think 2013 is going to be a good year. I felt optimistic, lucky even. 

Sitting in the hotel bar in Asbury Park on Friday night, having just learned that Bruce is not coming to LOD 2013, I knew that I had been wrong.



Day One
Thursday

We had a trouble free journey but it was a long day and tiredness had made us niggly with each other. As we were due out to our first gig almost immediately it was a quick wash and brush up before going down to the hotel bar. There was a pretty big crowd and scanning the room proved we recognised only a few people. We said hello to one or two but most were already chatting in groups. These situations are often a bit awkward don’t you think? There’s a fine line between muscling in on other people’s conversations and looking stand-offish. Although I’m sure no-one would have minded if we had joined in, we elected to sit on the edge looking interested. 

We had no chance to get our bearings so followed others down to Asbury Lanes. This must have been about 7.00pm or so. We stood - just the two of us together - for, perhaps, three hours listening to bands we had never heard of, playing stuff that we didn’t really enjoy. This might be a bit unfair. We just weren’t in the mood to be won over.

Around 10.00pm part way through Joe D’Urso's set we had to give in and shuffled, thoroughly exhausted, back to the hotel.

I sat on the edge of the bed wondering what on earth I had done. Here we were in Asbury Park living my dream and all I wanted to do was go home!


No comments:

Post a Comment