Saturday 22 January 2011

Beyond The Palace

So we did indeed get a few You Tube gems from Light of Day.  I love the sing-a-long-a ‘Thunder Road’.



The sound of a crowd singing along together is so uplifting.  It only goes to prove that most people there were Springsteen fans and they seem to have been treated to a great night.

In 2005 I had an urge to go to LOD.  We had a Badlands email advertising their trip and did a lot of research regarding flights.  I had managed to convince myself that I didn’t care if Bruce appeared or not.  The thrill of going to Asbury Park was enough.  In the end Mike persuaded me that I was kidding myself and he was right. Bruce didn’t turn up that year and I was relieved that we didn’t go.

We considered going this year but things have moved on since 2005.  We have now been to Asbury Park.  It was the most amazing day.  I would love to go back but the thought of the boardwalk on a cold January day doesn’t really appeal.

Seeing a show at the Paramount Theater would be fantastic.  Mike and I follow many of the acts that perform at LOD but, with apologies to those other artists, I have to admit that I would be gutted if Bruce didn’t put in an appearance.

Anyway back to the You Tube clips. This one along with a couple of others have been posted by Backstreetsbev.



I assume this is the same Backstreetsbev who I first came across on BTX. She’s quite the celebrity over there. All her posts include a photo of her and Bruce.

This was the first photo I had seen of Bruce with a fan and I was so envious - still am.

I seem to remember she was at Emirates night 2 when Bruce played 'Backstreets' and someone posted a brilliant photo of her listening in awe. This was the night I fell in love with the song.  It had sort of passed me by before but hearing it live I realised what an amazing song it is.

My little Bruce world is a bit subdued at the moment.  The excitement of the Darkness Box set has faded and there is nothing to look forward to.  For the first time for, well, possibly years I don’t feel the need to listen to Bruce music all the time.  I’m not getting the usual withdrawal symptoms if I choose the non Bruce play lists on my iPod so I’ve had a go at Biffy Clyro, The Goo Goo Dolls, Lifehouse, Matchbox Twenty and 12 Stones.  Can’t say I love any of them on first hearing although most will merit a second and third play.

We didn't even get excited about Bruce night on the Beeb.  In fact Mike hardly watched any of it.  I stuck it out until the end though although I'd seen it all before.

Anyway today Mike suggested we make Saturday a sixties day (so also a non Bruce day).  Some of you reading this weren’t even alive in the sixties but most of you will know hundreds of sixties songs and loads of those songs influenced Bruce.  So... whilst I was washing up I played The Monkees - the first band I really loved - but who had absolutely no influence on Bruce I imagine.  This afternoon I chose a compilation featuring girl groups - the likes of The Shirelles and The Crystals.  A bit more influence there then.

By the way the drum roll at the beginning of 'The Locomotion' is eerily similar to 'Born to Run'. I must have heard both songs hundreds of times over the years and never noticed this before.

This week when I was researching LOD I came across this piece about the Paramount show.



Sara has written a book which I have ordered.  I read the first page on Amazon.com and I am very much looking forward to reading the rest when the book arrives.  I’m not into e-reading yet so it‘s the paper version for me.  I’ll let you know what I think in a few weeks.




And to round off this week.  The folks on BTX are suggesting that Patti needs to hang on tightly to her man.  Apparently Shakira has split with her long time boyfriend.  I believe she is a bit of a Bruce fan and she's a good looking woman in anyone's book.   Just joking Patti - I think you are probably stuck with him for life now!

1 comment:

  1. hello..thank you so much for this EXTREMELY kind post and yes, that was me at Emirates. I will post your blog to my facebook page, its wonderful!

    -backstreetsbev

    ReplyDelete