Sunday 20 March 2011

Life Is Still Worthwhile If You Just...



The problem with doing a weekly blog is that if something happens the day after I write it’s old news by the time I sit down to do the next post.

So here is some out of date News about Bruce's first car. 


I’ve mentioned previously that Mike and I had a brief flirtation with classic American Cars.



Mike has always hankered after a chevy truck




but I covet a convertible - with fins of course.



Bruce's car would suit me fine but unless a lottery win is coming our way I don’t think I will be putting it in our garage any time soon.  Actually it wouldn’t fit in our garage but then if we won the lottery we would be able to afford a new garage ... hmm actually the car might cost so much we wouldn’t have any left for the garage!

We bought The Dropkick Murphy’s album this week.  It’s a new genre of music for us but I am liking it.  'Peg O’ My Heart' is fab.  We knew Bruce was going to join in at some point - after all that’s why we bought the album, but knowing didn’t make it any less sweet.  So at the beginning of the second verse we looked at each other and smiled.  Smiled because it is unmistakably Bruce: smiled because although the first verse is good the second verse is ten times better: smiled because... well just because Bruce makes us smile.  


Of course we all know by now that Bruce appeared in Boston on Friday and I'm sure this made you grin as big and wide as a Cheshire Cat.




Don’t you just love how even on the worst of days Bruce can make you smile.  Some folks might think my Springsteen obsession is strange and I can’t begin to explain how grateful I am that I have found something that enriches my life so much.  Most of us are lucky enough to have friends and family who make our lives worth living.  Not everyone has that something extra which can make some days special - I’ll say it again - something that makes you smile even in the tough times.
Last week we went to a postcard fair.  Mike was looking for some old postcards to introduce into his genealogy blog.  Now the people there were mostly middle aged men wearing slacks and anoraks - I mentioned to Mike that many of them were likely to be going on to spot some trains.  I didn’t understand their interest but when I stop and think about it can appreciate that they are passionate about something.  Finding that elusive postcard will make them smile.  


__________________


Bruce had another recent outing - this time at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction thingy. There's a short clip here.





_________________

Spotted an interesting little snippet on Backstreets news this week:-
STEVE PREDICTS SOLO BRUCE ALBUM BEFORE E STREET RECONVENES
Checking in this morning with WMGK morning host John DeBella, Little Steven was asked about "the latest" with Bruce and with the E Street Band:


You know Bruce -- he's always got an album in his pocket, he's always writing something. I don't know this for a fact, but I expect him to possibly put something out that's more of a solo nature, before we get back together. Only because he's so prolific, still, after all these years... I expect him starting to have a backlog of songs, just in terms of the time that have passed.


______________________

And to round off this week? - Well a couple of hours ago I nipped to the local supermarket for some cheese.  They were playing ‘Girls In Their Summer Clothes‘ over the PA.  


It made me smile.  

3 comments:

  1. Same. It is totally subconcious but I do find as I'm driving along, pissed off about a bad day at work, and then someone plays Bruce. The smile just forces it's way through.

    Do you find, like me, that you are unable to turn the engine off and get out of the car until the track has ended? My hands just wont do it.
    Claire X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claire - thanks for your comment. Exactly same for me with the car radio. Oh and I hung around in the supermarket until 'Girls' finished - LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. ..special offer for all BS fans. For the month of March there is a $10 refund for every book ordered at: http://www.thelightinDarkness.com
    All you have to do when you order the book is write "the light" and you will be refunded the $10 in 24 hours.
    If you would like to see an excellent feature on the book, find a copy of the Dutch music magazine Lust for Life April 2011 edition
    with Roger Waters on the cover.

    ReplyDelete