Sunday 17 June 2012

Lucky Touch

I don't really 'do' Twitter.  I post my blog and look at what's trending but that's about it

Today, through one of my Facebook friends, I came into a conversation (if that's what you call it when tweets are sent to @ this and @ that) something along the lines of any of Bruce's albums could persuade a non believer except perhaps 'Human Touch' or 'Lucky Town'.

I know one of my readers who, I think, got into Bruce because of these two albums - only one person.  Perhaps, after all this time, I know you well enough to come out of the closet and admit I also like both albums - yes I really do!!  There are only a couple of tracks on each that I really don't like.

I didn't actually get into Bruce because of those albums exactly, more because the World Tour with the 'other band' was the first show we went to. I really do fit the adage

There are two types of people in the world - those who love Bruce Springsteen and those who have never seen him live


I really didn't love him until I saw him live.

Of course I didn't have The E Street Band to compare the 'other band' with and almost no other concerts to compare with a live show. I thought the gig was amazing. Better Days, Lucky Town, Leap Of Faith, Mans Job, Souls Of The Departed, My Beautiful Reward. I like them all.  57 Channels not so much and I'm sure some of you die hards must have almost cried in shame when Bruce and co started kicking dice about the stage. At least that's how I remember it. The You Tube video I'm going to treat you to features a number of fluffy dice but none being kicked about - I don't think.  At 10 minutes long even I skipped some bits. You have to have some stamina to sit all the way through it!  Looking back on it now Bruce does look slightly ridiculous but I still love the albums.

Anyway back to what started this post. 'Human Touch' and 'Lucky Town' aren't Bruce's best.  Most of you would say that they're not good either musically or lyrically. I think, for a non Bruce fan, there are  tracks on both albums that are easy to listen to and might persuade someone to go out and buy one of the 'classics'.

And back to our first concert - Sheffield 1993. Here is the full set list taken from Brucebase


SEEDS / ADAM RAISED A CAIN / THIS HARD LAND / BETTER DAYS / LUCKY TOWN / 57 CHANNELS (AND NOTHIN' ON) / ATLANTIC CITY / BADLANDS / MANY RIVERS TO CROSS / MY HOMETOWN / LEAP OF FAITH / MAN'S JOB / ROLL OF THE DICE / BORN IN THE U.S.A. / I'M ON FIRE / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / HUMAN TOUCH / THE RIVER / WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN? / SOULS OF THE DEPARTED / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / LIGHT OF DAY / GLORY DAYS / THUNDER ROAD / BORN TO RUN / MY BEAUTIFUL REWARD / WORKING ON THE HIGHWAY


“Born In The U.S.A.” is an acoustic version. First ever performances in England of "This Hard Land" and "Many Rivers To Cross". 






2 comments:

  1. Lucky town is much better than the glossy human touch. I think working on a dream sadly comes close to the low of human touch. But is human touch such a low? With the likes of real man which Bruce admitted was so corny he almost through it off the record yes. But the title track, real world, I wish I were blind and the lesser with every wish sound incredible. Bruce played all or nothing at all in 2009. And I love lucky town. The other band didn't stand up on the born songs but prove it all night despite no sax and darkness etc sound amazing! Living proof is a very moving song

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been a fan of those two albums and "the other band" tour, as well. I saw 5 shows on that tour and loved them all. I think those that toss out the album and that tour really weren't open to a "non E St. Band" show and just didn't give it a chance.

    I think both LT and HT are under-rated albums and wish he would play more from them, more regularly. I'd also like to hear more of the new stuff, too. I was lucky in Milan, despite the 3:40 show length that he played Radio Nowhere as I think the setlist was too typical and too much of the old classics. But, then, again, after 74 shows, there are few classics I haven't heard live enough and I like his new music as much as any of his stuff, especially Radio Nowhere, Long Walk Home, Girls in Their Summer Clothes, Gypsy Biker, Magic, and yes, even Working On a Dream, which has been my personal theme song for my business since I first heard it.

    ReplyDelete