Sunday 11 March 2012

Meet Me in the Land of Hope and Dreams

Set List Warning.
I am an avid set list watcher so I will be including these in my posts




Well wasn't that Apollo gig just amazing?

I've listened to it twice now and might just have to listen again - when I have two hours to spare.

Great to hear a lot of the tracks from Wrecking Ball.  Would have liked Easy Money though which is one of my faves. No Born to Run.  Now I love BTR and thought I would miss it terribly, but truth be told, it didn't matter to me at all.

Now I don't want to put a dampner on proceedings but I could do without Sunny Day.  When we first listened to The Rising, Sunny Day was probably my favourite track.  I love a catchy little ditty and this certainly falls into that category.  But often my favourite when I first hear an album falls down the list the more I listen.  I still really like it but I think I've heard it once too often on the last couple of tours.

The old songs he chose to play really fitted with the theme and feeling of the whole show - Badlands, Mansion on the Hill, Promised Land, My City of Ruins and yes, even Sunny Day - hard times well they come to us all. I like the way Bruce introduced the new band members and remembered the ones who have left us - 'if you're here and we're here they're here'.  For me it was just enough - not too sentimental but touching all the same.

When it comes to the tracks from Wrecking Ball (the album)I have to say that I'm not terribly keen on Wrecking Ball itself and the jury's out, in our house, on We Are Alive.  It's the tune rather than the lyrics - although I'm not sure about the grave and worms thing.  I definitely lean more towards the Irish folk rhythms.

Talking of folk I think the whole thing has a Seegar feel about it but with a bit more bite.

I hoped for some tracks from The Promise on this tour but I hardly think buying a shirt from Bloomingdales is something Bruce is going to be singing about and I've kissed The Way goodbye - probably for ever.

Great to hear Land of Hope and Dreams again.  I'm hoping it will be a constant, although I wonder if Bruce will interchange it with American Land.

I'm guessing the soul segment was especially for the Apollo - do you think we'll get signs here?  You know, I think I've had enough of signs too - for a while.

If I was a bit giddy before I'm really excited now.  Only 6 days to go to the first gig on the tour and the first set list watch.  100 days to wait for our first show in Sunderland England.

Wrecking Ball is number 1 in the UK album charts this week - his 9th number 1.  I live in Leeds and the Born in the USA tour gig at Roundhay Park is legendary in these parts.  Most folks think BITUSA was the only thing Bruce did and regard him as a has-been.  Well think again my friends, think again.

My visit to HMV this week to buy the deluxe version of Wrecking Ball (because I'd ordered the wrong one on line) proved rather lucrative.  Here I am with my poster which a very kind security guard removed from a display a day early for me


Now I just have to find a frame big enough to put it in - Ikea here I come!

Oh - and one last thought - who is going to do the rapping??????



Setlist:
We Take Care of Our Own
Wrecking Ball
Badlands
Death to My Hometown
My City of Ruins
The E Street Shuffle
Jack of All Trades
Shackled and Drawn
Waitin' on a Sunny Day
The Promised Land
Mansion on the Hill
The Way You Do The Things You Do
634-5789
The Rising
We Are Alive
Thunder Road
* * *
Rocky Ground (with Michelle Moore)
Land of Hope and Dreams/People Get Ready
Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
Hold On, I'm Comin'











No comments:

Post a Comment