Tuesday 20 March 2012

Greensboro Monday 19th March 2012 - show 2


Geography was probably my worst subject at school and in the last twenty five years - OK thirty five years - it hasn't got any better. I aim to brush up on my map of America as we travel with Bruce and the E Street Band and I'm forcing you to come along with me.

So it's approximately 330 miles from Atlanta in Georgia to Greensboro North Carolina.




Here is a review which includes a couple of great paragraphs:-

 Thirty-one years ago in the Greensboro Coliseum, I saw Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band play live for the first time, which put me slightly -- but not terribly -- behind the coolness curve. He had me, as the cliche goes, at "Hello, Greensboro."

   Thirty-one years later -- Monday night -- I saw Bruce and the band again in the Greensboro Coliseum and, to borrow a Springsteen-like sentiment, my faith has again been rewarded. I didn't want it to end.  

 The thing about a Springsteen show is the joy it brings, not just to the audience but to Bruce and the band. The Coliseum was full and most of the audience was like me, well into mid-life with mortgages, soft bellies and gray creeping in. 

 Springsteen's concert joy is contagious. He said in an interview a few years ago that he'd come to realize that being on stage with his band is what he's meant to do. When you think he can't give you more, he always does. It's why I have friends who've seen him more than 100 times and why, having seen him close to 15 times myself, I'm hoping he'll add a Charlotte show this fall when he and the band return from a summer in Europe. 

Someone on Greasy Lake commented that it was a much better set list than the previous night. Funny that only a couple of changes can make a difference to somebodies enjoyment

Here's the set list with last night's for comparison



!8/03/12
time 8.10 to 10.44
19/03/12
time 8.13 to 10.53
We Take Care Of Our Own
We Take Care Of Our Own
Wrecking Ball
Wrecking Ball
Badlands
Badlands
Death To My Hometown
Death To My Hometown
My City Of Ruins
My City Of Ruins
The E Street Shuffle
The E Street Shuffle
Jack Of All Trades
Jack Of All Trades
Seeds
Seeds
Easy Money
Easy Money
Waitin' On A Sunny Day
Waitin' On A Sunny Day
The Promised Land
The Promised Land
The Way You Do The Things You Do
The Way You Do The Things You Do
634 -5789
634 -5789
Shackled And Drawn
Shackled And Drawn
Lonesome Day
Because The Night
The Rising
The Rising
We Are Alive
We Are Alive
Thunder Road
Thunder Road
Rocky Ground
Rocky Ground
Land Of Hope And Dreams
Land Of Hope And Dreams
Born To Run
Born To Run
Dancing In The Dark
Dancing In The Dark
American Land
Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
Tenth Avenue Freeze Out
Tenth Avenue Freeze Out



I always considered Rosie as one of those songs that the 'old timers' liked because Bruce ended the show with it in the seventies  Lately though my head has been turned and I can see the energy it brings to a show.

I'm a bit bored with Because The Night.  I grew up with the Patti Smith version in my youth so I really have heard it for more years than I care to remember.

Badlands being third in the list is a worry for me too. We sit so I'm a bit concerned that it's too early in the set for the people around me to be fired up.  Needless to say Mike and I are stoked already!  I can't listen to Badlands without standing up so if I annoy those around me - so be it.

Actually if I were to express preference for the arrangement of a set list I'd quite like to hear a random song about third in and although I love Badlands I'd probably prefer it later on during the show occasionally, and a surprise included at number 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment