Sunday 24 October 2010

My Bruce Journey - Part 41

'Well I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk'


I think we had a Nils Lofgren cassette before Bruce had even crossed our radar - presumably The Best Of which was released 1981.  The only track I knew was 'Shine Silently' and I don’t remember playing the album much.

In 1965 my brother - Ian - was 18 years old and like many teenage lads of the time had taught himself to play guitar and joined a local band - The Ooglies later to become The Movement.  There were various members of this group but the star of the show was Neave Taylor.  Neave was a talented musician who could write songs but, as is often the case with artistic people, he could go off the rails a bit.

My parents had a shop at the time, taking up half of a big old building.  We lived in a flat above the shop and the band rehearsed in one of the store rooms on the ground floor among packing cases.  Blimey it was loud!  Occasionally they performed in the local village hall, a couple of doors away and I was allowed to go and watch.

I would only have been about eight and I thought Ian was famous.  Well, if I believe what he told me, the band were quite a hit around our home county of Lincolnshire and they did make a record - just one.

He still gets asked to play from time to time now and I am so impressed that he can get up on stage and play guitar.

My mum was inordinately proud.  She embarrassed Ian constantly by asking him to perform ‘Homeward Bound’ on his acoustic guitar for auntie, uncle or indeed anyone passing through who was prepared to listen.  She died 9 years ago now, but it always stops me short if the song comes on the radio and I can still hear her voice - 'play 'Homeward Bound' Ian'. 

When I was about 20 he tried to teach me, together with his wife-Irene, how to play.  We were rubbish - but I still have an acoustic guitar now and from time to time make an effort to learn.  I am just not committed enough - a project for when I retire perhaps?

I tell this story because Ian is the reason I love guitar players and probably the reason I knew of Nils Lofgren who is, without doubt, a great guitar player.

Our last foray to see Nils was some years ago.  Ian, Irene, Mike and I met up at the rather oddly named Scunthorpe Baths Hall. 

The old Scunthorpe Baths Hall
I assume the building had at some point been a swimming baths-perhaps it still was.  The gig was in a tiny room which couldn't have held more than a couple of hundred people.  We must have arrived early as we spent some time waiting outside in a rather bleak Scunthorpe street chatting to the girl at the front of the queue.

The new Scunthorpe Baths Hall
Monica was Scandinavian and told us she followed Nils around the world.  We all considered this to be a bit strange - I mean who would spend their spare time following a musician around the world watching gig after gig?!!. 

Monica became part of family folklore and we still wonder about her from time to time.

Can’t believe so many years have passed before we’ve got around to seeing Nils again but, last week the four of us (probably as much as fifteen years older) set off to Manchester to see him again.  The Lowry is a much bigger much plusher venue.  I really liked the whole area and wouldn't hesitate to go again.  Didn't recognise Monica.

I’m not going to review the gig and I couldn’t tell you the set list.  Parts of it I loved parts not so much.  He mentioned being busy the last couple of years with the other band and he played 'Because The Night' complete with twirls.

As I’m sure lots of you know Nils has a reputation for looking after his fans - he always takes time out to meet us.  We queued up to shake his hand afterwards.  I have always been a bit star struck and was shaking like a leaf.  Told him I was nervous.  He told me not to be.  What I would do if I ever met Bruce doesn’t bear thinking about.  It’s probably better all around if I never get near him!

You remember Neave Taylor?  Well he is currently off the rails and in hospital.  Ian called him up when he was nearing the front of the queue and Nils left a message on his answer service.  How great is that? Needless to say Ian rang Neave afterwards with a follow up message to assure him it was genuine - well would you believe it if one of your messages was Hi Nils Lofgren here at the Lowry…

Bruce rumours this week revolve around whether or not he might turn up for a showing of The Promise which is on Friday night in London.

He was out shopping last week in SoHo, New York though, not London.

Finally this week The Gaslight Anthem were on UK TV appearing on Later with Jools Holland.  To be honest I didn’t think they did themselves any favours.  I’m not sure why but it didn’t seem like a very assured performance at the time.  Watching it again on the web I think it’s OK.  Somehow, though, they looked kind of out or place in the very pristine studio environment.  Oh and Brian I don’t like the beard !!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment